Skip to main content

The Wonderful Ladies' Well in the Heart of Northumberland



The Wonderful Ladies' Well in the Heart of Northumberland Fiona Malkin @ringnetter


"Near the spot where the Roman road to High Rochester crossed the Coquet was a holy stone where a missionary preached the gospel; and in his footsteps a little community of nuns who built a priory near a sacred spring which to this day is called the Ladies' Well.

It is a big basin of clear water in an enclosure surrounded by tall beeches, and from it springs a swift sparkling stream which flows rapidly between the banks of greenest grass. In 1780 the pool was given a rim of masonry, and in the middle was raised a tall stone cross with an inscription perpetuating the doubtful legend that " In this place Paulinus the bishop baptised 30000 Northumbrians. Easter 627." At one end of the pool stands a moss-covered statue of Paulinus brought from Alnwick, and at the other are two stone supports bearing an altar named the Holy Stone.

The Wonderful Ladies Well in the Heart of northumberland Fiona Malkin @ringnetter
Statue of Bishop Paulinus

The Wonderful Ladies' Well in the Heart of Northumberland Fiona malkin @ringnetter
Statue of Bishop Paulinus standing to west of the pool with the stone cross in the centre of the pool


In 1291 there were 27 nuns here, with four lay brothers, three chaplains and a master. A few years later, when Bruce was devastating the northern counties, we find the Bishop of Durham writing that:

The house, situated in the march of England and Scotland, by reason of the hostile incursions which daily and continually increase, is frequently despoiled of its goods, and the nuns themselves are often attacked by the marauders, harmed and pursued and put to flight and driven from their home, and are constrained miserably to experience bitter suffering. Wherefore we make these things known to you, that you may compassionate their poverty, which is increased by the memory of happier things, and that your pity and benevolence may be shown them, lest (to the disgrace of their estate) they be forced to beg."


The above excerpt was taken from the King England Northumberland by Arthur Mee first published in 1952. Today this lovely ancient spring is still surrounded by beech trees, but an earlier description of the Ladies' Well from D. D. Dixon upper Coquetdale and first published in 1903 describes the well such ...

"a spring of beautiful water in a grove of fir trees, a little north of the village"

it also states that...

" A stone statue of an ecclesiastic, originally stood in the centre of the well, but a few years ago, this was removed and placed at the west end of the pool, and a cross of stone bearing the following inscrition was substituted:-

                                                               + In this place
                                                            Paulinus the Bishop
                                                                  baptised
                                                   three thousand Northumbrians
                                                           Easter DCXXVII +

So one or two changes over the years but undoubtedly still a very special place to visit and one of Northumberland's treasures.

Popular posts from this blog

RE-VISITING DUNADD

The Rowan tree grew precariously on the side on the old Dun, its roots stretching under the fallen stones had found a tenuous hold. It was late September and the bushy branches supported a few clusters of bright red berries. From where I stood on the highest point the sides of the Dun fell steeply down to the ancient valley, where, the river Add meandered its final course before emptying into Loch Crinan. The Vale spread wide below and beyond the river’s reach it ran in a rich verdure towards the sea in one direction and the Moine Mhor Bog in another.





Seaward the valley stretched evenly, beyond the small cup of blue that denoted the ocean the northern tip of Jura lay gray and low beneath the sky. Rising in a gentle rocky fold at the eastern edge of the valley the land began to climb, here pockets of trees grew on the hillside, on the following downward slope a band of green conifer tops spread wide until the land climbed once more. The distant rocky hilltops rose under the moving sha…

Saint Cuthbert's Chapel Tillmouth

Saint Cuthbert’s Chapel stands by the edge of a farmer’s field. The field had been planted and small shoots of a neatly sown crop were already a few centimetre's above the soil and growing on all sides of the small chapel. I was intrigued by the story of the stone coffin, which was said to have carried St. Cuthbert from Melrose down the River Tweed and come aground at the spot where the rivers Till and Tweed meet.




We had followed a track that led us from the roadside through some woods and eventually along the banks of the river Tweed. We came out of the woods as the sun came out from behind the clouds and the river flowed powerful and wide below us. On the opposite bank at the edge of a field a swan sat on its nest, the field was unnaturally green with young growing crops and the swan was brilliantly white in the sun. By my feet and through the edges of the wood thick vibrant bluebell leaves were ready and waiting for their flowers. It was a lovely picture. We walked along the riv…

Strange Mythological Blue Men of the Hebrides

From - Shemaron: A Beautiful EndeavourMythological Blue Men of the Hebrides
"The “charmed Islands” of the Hebrides that lie off Scotland’s west coast have their share of myth and legend; the myth of the Blue Men evolved from ancient Greek mythology. They are the sons of Glaukos Pontius, Blue Man of the sea, and are collectively known as Glaukidai.
The Scottish Blue Men migrated to Ireland from the Mediterranean and are said to live in caves under the Minch. If a sailor saw a Blue Man he could be sure that a storm was to follow. They are reputed to have attacked ships or sailors who had been unkind to Selkies (seal people) or other sea folk. Engaging the chieftain in rhyme could avert their anger; if the wit and rhyme was deemed impressive enough, the boat and its crew would be left alone.
Boats often sailed round the Shiant Isles, which lie to the east of Harris in the Outer Hebrides, to avoid the “stream of the Blue Men” or “the current of destruction”.
Seeing these words on the pag…